If you notice unusual transactions on your account, please contact us:
During business hours (8.30am - 5.30pm, Monday - Friday)
Client Services Team: 1300 306 716
After hours (Lost Cards Hotline - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Within Australia: Freecall 1800 653 326
Overseas: Call +61 3 6421 4461
Ensuring your financial security is a high priority for the team at Bank of us and as part of our commitment to you we continue to invest in new and improved fraud monitoring systems.
Our state-of-the-art system involves monitoring card based activity to ensure it is legitimate and to identify transactions that appear unusual or suspicious. Monitoring is undertaken 24 hours a day, seven days a week and provides for the earliest possible detection of card-based fraud.
Steps to reduce your risk of fraud
- Take all reasonable steps to protect your card from loss or theft.
- Notify Bank of us immediately if you become aware that your card has been lost or stolen, or has been used by someone else.
- Sign the back of your card immediately on receipt.
- Never write your PIN down anywhere.
- Don't use your card to make purchases from unsecured sites (look for https: before the URL to be sure that you're accessing a secure site)
- Don't allow anyone else to use your card (ie: family member or friend).
- Regularly check that your card is where it should be.
- Always ensure that you retrieve your card and receipt after making a transaction.
- Destroy your card on the expiry date by cutting it diagonally in half (including any embedded microchip on the card; magnetic strip and security code).
- Never use an ATM or other equipment if anything about it appears unusual.
What happens if we identify a suspicious transaction on your account?
If we detect a suspicious transaction or notice fraudulent activity, we may block your card to protect your funds. If possible, we will contact you to discuss the suspicious or fraudulent activity. If we are unable to contact you, we may block your card as a security measure.
It is therefore extremely important that you:
- Ensure your contact details are up-to-date: this will ensure that we can contact you to validate transaction activity on your account.
- Advise us if you are travelling overseas: this will ensure that we know you are overseas and that transactions are legitimate based on your advised travel plans (departure/return dates, countries visited, etc).
To assist you in preparing for an overseas trip, we’ve also put together some top tips on accessing your money safely and securely overseas – see Travelling Overseas.
To update your contact details, advise overseas travel plans or simply request more information about our fraud monitoring system please drop into your local Bank of us branch or call 1300 306 716 (8.30am-5.30pm Monday-Friday).